Pekka Rantala, the Chief Marketing Officer of HMD Global recently gave an interview to an Italian Nokia fan blog. This interview was full of interesting proclamations that sums up HMD Global’s marketing plans, their current devices, partners and even sales numbers. The interview is live on YouTube and is about 17 minutes long. As you may expect, the Pekka Rantala interview is not in Italian. It is all in English — check out the video after the jump.
Pekka Rantala’s Interview:
Let’s cover up all the important statements from the interview:
- HMD introduced 9 products in 9 months of operation – 5 feature phones and 4 smartphones
- Nokia 3, 5 and 6 were announced early because MWC was the best place to get the most publicity for the devices. The plan from start was to start shipping the Devices from June 2017, and so it was in the end. He also added that the timeframe between announcement and launch will be shorter in future, as seen with the Nokia 8
- Till today, there was no need for marketing because the demand is “enormously strong”, and people are familiar with Nokia Products. Digital will be the primary platform, but with Nokia 8 they will target the customer base via other marketing methods as well. Translated, I would dare to say demand is far bigger than supply and there is no point in marketing the devices if they are already selling out quickly
- HMD already sold millions of smartphones (Nokia 6 available since January in China, and 3, 5, 6 available globally since July/August), and 10s of millions of feature phones (In 2016, the Sales of Nokia branded smartphones were 35 million)
- Former CEO Arto Nummela’s exit from the Company is a private matter between him and the board of directors
- The Company is doing great
HMD Global’s CMO has given a lot of data regarding the current Nokia devices. If you have any questions, drop a comment below.