This is how you can download Android Oreo Beta and install on the Nokia 6 and Nokia 5 phones from Beta Labs. As most of you would know by now, HMD Global / Nokia Mobile rolled out the official Android Oreo Beta for these two phones. Users globally can test the upcoming update and provide feedback to the company so they can get the software ready to ship as soon as possible, and without any bugs.
Since Nokia announced Beta Labs, we have received a number of queries from users on how to get their phones enrolled and from those who have had issues ‘validating’ their Nokia 5 or Nokia 6. In this guide, we will look into each step on how to get your phone registered for this beta testing program so you are always the very first one to receive the new Android updates from Nokia.
How to Download Android Oreo Beta on Nokia 6 and Nokia 5
Let’s start with the process on getting your Nokia 5, Nokia 6 enrolled into Nokia Beta Labs. For starters, please make sure you have completed the following:
- Please backup all your data. No data will be lost when installing Android Oreo Beta, but it is HIGHLY recommended to backup all important data before proceeding below.
- Make sure your phone has atleast 50% battery and can go on easily for another 15-20 minutes.
- You need to have a working SIM card inserted in your SIM1 slot. This tutorial will not work if your Nokia phone is without a SIM card.
Now that we are done with that, let’s begin with the actual tutorial.
Step 1 – Visit the Nokia Beta Labs website and read all about it.
Step 2 – Sign in with your Nokia, Facebook or Google account.
Step 3 – Once signed in , you will be presented with more information about Beta Labs and this pre-release Android Oreo Beta testing.
Step 4 – A couple of things to note here:
- For Nokia 5 users: You need to be on the November 2017 security patch, at least. This will even work if you have the latest December 2017 security patch installed.
- For Nokia 6 users: You need to be on the December 2017 security patch, or this will not work on your phone.
Step 5 – Next, you need to validate your Nokia phone with the Nokia Beta Labs servers. For this, you need to have two things – IMEI code and Network Operator name.
- IMEI code: You can find the IMEI code of your Nokia phone from Settings > About phone > Status > IMEI information > IMEI (Slot1)
- Network Operator: You can find the Network Operator of your Nokia phone from Settings > About phone > Status > SIM status > Network
Step 6 – Enter these two details from your Nokia phone into the Beta Labs website. Hit the “Register for beta labs” button and wait.
Step 7 – Once approved, you will get a green “Validation ok” message.
Step 8 – Scroll down and read through various tips on how to prepare your Nokia phone for the Android Oreo Beta over-the-air (OTA) update.
Once done, check the option “I have read the instructions and ensured my phone has the latest general release software installed.” and then hit the “Request OTA” button.
Step 9 – Next, you wait. It could take up to 12 hours before you get a notification of an OTA update on your Nokia 5 / Nokia 6. You can easily bypass that by pulling the Oreo Beta update manually to your phone.
Go to Settings > About phone > System update > Check for update. If all goes well, you should see a prompt to download and install Android 8.0 Oreo Beta – similar to the one shown below.
Step 10 – Download and install this Android Oreo Beta system update like a normal update and wait till the installation gets over and your phone boots up.
Step 11 – You should now have the latest Android 8.0 Oreo Beta installed on your Nokia phone. Go to Settings > About phone to check.